Flavio Livio Cianflone, Conductor, Adjudicator, Clinician, Music Educator 250-619-5871
1.) Education and Training (degrees, majors/minors, relevant professional development and any training related to Arts Education):
Flavio Cianflone received his Bachelor of Science Degree, in Music Education from the University of North Dakota (75)
Master of Music Education Degree ('95)
Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Education ('96) from the University of Manitoba.
Mr. Cianflone has pursued further studies towards a Doctorate Degree in Music Education, (1998)
Mr. Cianflone holds a Level 1 Administrator certificate and has completed the necessary coursework for the Level 2 Administrator certificate, (Principalship)
2.) Teaching Experiences:
Director of Bands at Shaftesbury High School in the Pembina Trails School Division (1990-2015)
Responsible for 7 performing ensembles (4 jazz bands, 3 concert bands, 1 Glee Choir, grade 9-12)
180 students involved in the program
Program Leader; Fine Art Department; (Art, Band (Concert and Jazz band) Choral, Drama,
3.) Record of Music History, Classroom Experience, Performances, Conducting, Related to Arts Education
• Mr. Cianflone started his musical career at the age of 10, playing clarinet and saxophone. He has been a professional musician performing and leading a variety of music ensembles for the past 50 years.
• He performed with Myron Florin of the past Lawrence Welk show at Chester Fritz Auditorium, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota. Jimmy King of Winnipeg. Jazz pianist and band leader,
• Further studies include workshops with Buddy Rich Big Band (drums), Bill Watrous (trombone),
Ron Carter, (bassist), Joe Morello (drums), with the Dave Brubeck quartet., (all circa 1975-2005)
• Mr. Cianflone started teaching in 1975 and has 41 years of teaching, conducting and performance experience in art education field.
• Mr. Cianflone has performed as co-conductor with Tadeusz Biernacki Manitoba Opera Assistant Music and Chorus Master, Music Director of Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Music Director and Conductor of the Saskatoon Opera in a celebration of a “Polish/Italian Interlude” held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 2014
• Mr. Cianflone conducted the Viva I’talia Choir in the 16th Annual Evening of Light Opera”, alongside the University of Manitoba, School of Music Opera Singers, featuring world renown tenor Richard Margison, 2014
• Mr. Cianflone’s performing ensembles have achieved a status of excellence in their performances at numerous music festivals such as Cantando Band Festival, Western Canada, Toronto Music Festival, Field’s Museum, Chicago, U.S.A,, Performing Arts Consultants Band Festival; Kansas City, Minneapolis, Chicago, Rapid City, South Dakota Band Festival, Mid-West Band Festival, Chicago, Music Fest Canada Band Festival, Optimist Band Festival and Brandon Jazz Festival , Winnipeg.
• Concert Band Instruction Grade 7-12,
• Jazz Band Instruction Grade 7-12,
• Choral and Vocal Jazz Instruction,
• String Program instruction, ( Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Violin)
• Mr. Cianflone is recognized as a qualified private music instructor on all the concert band instruments and string instruments.
• Mr. Cianflone has performed with the Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra, Grand Forks, North Dakota, and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Winnipeg, Manitoba as a percussionist.
• Flavio Cianflone is nationally recognized as a clinician, adjudicator and conductor for the Associated Arts Manitoba Festivals (1980-2011) as well with International Peace Gardens Music Camp,
• He has performed and taught music at the early, middle, and senior years as well as undergraduate/graduate levels at the University of Manitboa.
• Flavio Cianflone has presented countless workshops for music programs in Manitoba, Alberta, North Dakota and Minnesota.
• Mr. Cianflone has studied advanced conducting with artists such as (the late) Robert Van Voorhees, University of North Dakota,: Dale Lonis, University of North Dakota, Stanley De Rusha, University of Brandon, Manitoba
• He has served in the role of music conductor for the Westwood community concert band (1990-92)
• He has served in the role of music conductor for the German Society of Manitoba (1989-1992), community concert band
• He has taught in Manitoba, North Dakota, Alberta and Minnesota the past 40 years.